- What is a PV Combiner Box?
The role of the combiner box is to bring the output of several solar strings together. Each string conductor lands on a fuse terminal and the output of the fused inputs are combined onto a single conductor that connects the box to the inverter. “This is a combiner box at its most basic, but once you have one in your solar project, there are additional features typically integrated into the box.
PV combiner box is like a connector that enables users to connect a specific number of PV cells which invariably forms a photovoltaic string. If a project only has two or three strings, like a typical home, a combiner box isn’t required. Rather, you’ll attach the string directly to an inverter
PV combiner box is a wiring device that makes it possible for users to connect a specific number of PV cells with those PV cells with the same specification, which is then connected to the PV combiner box. Those PV strings can be between 3 to 52.
What the combiner box does is to bring together several solar strings output. They make cables neat, especially given that they house all the wiring into a single connection. Now, having known what a combiner box is, the next focus would be briefly discussing some of the top PV combiner boxes.
- Types of Maintenance on a PV Combiner Box
- Routine maintenance: To maintain the PV combiner box service life and normal operation, routine maintenance must be carried out. To avoid the contacted parts from being charged during maintenance, the PV combiner box is expected to be stopped. It is important to note that there would be potential failures, especially as the PV combiner box would be exposed to dust and humidity, so routine maintenance cannot be overemphasized.
- Fuse Replacement: Once a fuse is damaged or rather blown, that fuse can not be restored. So, when you intend to have it replaced, it is important to hire a qualified operator. The circuit breaker would be the first area to open when replacing the fuse.
- Safety tips when troubleshooting
Below are some useful tips to adhere to when trying to troubleshoot a PV combiner box.
- Wear insulated gloves: This is the first line of defense as insulated gloves are important given that the gloves are greater than 1000V.